Sunday, February 28, 2010

Birkie 2010

This year's Birkie started out great. I had fantastic skis and my body
was all there. It could not have been better. I felt like I was
stalking the pack rather than skiing in it, always a great sign.
Unfortunately that ended when I got dragged to the ground by someone
behind me. One of my poles snapped and my ski split in two. I got up
and limped along hoping to get some new gear but the thrill of the
hunt faded after 10 km on broken equipment. I hopped a ride to the
finish at the 30km mark and was able to see my Steinbock teammate grab
third place!

Such is sport. Live to fight another day. I'm off to the Engadin
Marathon on Friday for another stab at the world's largest skate race!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is one of the craziest race stories I've heard. Two broke spokes out of a possible four spokes? At least you got a good race story to tell (as they say). Pin it in Switzerland!