Sunday, August 30, 2009

Post Tour of Utah Recap

Well, they don't call it 'America's Toughest Stage Race' for nothing! The Tour of Utah is the real deal and so was this year's field. It was pretty awesome to be able to race against guys like Oscar Sevilla and Dave Zabriskie, considering that just this spring I was banging elbows with the local Cat 4's. I went into the race as prepared as I could be, given that I had never competed in an NRC race before and not totally knowing what I was in for.

The first race was a prologue, 2.8 miles long. It was a steady uphill drag to turnaround and a superfast return. I started hard, hoping to make some time on the way out and just hang on the way back. I felt like I had a decent race but finished mid-pack. I was about 25 seconds behind Zabriskie... Not terrible for a guy who doesn't own a TT bike but I was looking for more.

Day two was a tough one. I was looking for something big on the several long, steep climbs. From the start, my teammate Dave Clinger and I rode the front. It was no problem to hold position into the first climb. I felt awesome... and then I blew a tire. I got a new wheel quickly from the neutral support but the mechanic tweaked my brake pad when he pulled my flat off and it took an extra minute or so to readjust and get rolling again. Knowing the course, I realized that if I didn't get back on the pack by the top of the first climb my race was over. I'd have to ride 60 miles solo... So I killed myself to rejoin, which meant riding a 35 minute climb roughly 90 seconds faster than an NRC pack.... Not an ideal situation... But I did make it back to the group and settled in for the next hour of rolling terrain. I was pretty blown but still hoping my legs would come back around. They didn't. When we hit the final climb I was cooked, it was all I could do to just pedal up the hill. I lost 20 minutes on the peloton. Rough start but I knew I was riding well.

Day two was a 50 mile flat drag around Utah Lake and a 20 mile climb to the top of the Wasatch Range, 5300 feet later! Same story as day two. I rode near the front, held my position fairly well until we got close to the climb. The OUCH train came through and drilled it at the front before I could get the position I wanted and I struggled to get into the top 20. As we hit the base of the climb, the pack strung out immediately. I was too far back and didn't have a chance. I settled into a pace that I could hold for the next hour and a half of uphill and started picking people off. I rode my way up into the 60's (of 160 riders) by the finish. It wasn't bad but it could have been a lot better if I had moved up earlier... Lesson learned. No messing around in an NRC pack.

Day three was a flat 12 mile Time Trial. It was a blast. It was held on a race car track. The pavement was like marble flooring and the corners were smoother than anything I've ever ridden. I rode hard but generally felt flat. My legs didn't have it to get up to 30mph without really hurting and as I neared the finish, I couldn't speed up. I ended in 90th. Not a good TT for me but still one of the most fun I've ever ridden (I've only done 5 of them).

Day four was the queen stage. It was really hot, 100+ degrees and the course was brutal. 99 miles and over 10,000 ft of climbing. The first bit was pretty aggressive as there were a lot of attacks at the front. Eventually the pack sat up and a break went. I moved up early to get a shot at the lead pack over the first major climb (~1hr long @ 10% grade). I got there right where I wanted to be. I hammered but faded at a critical spot and lost about 20 feet to the lead group. When we got to where the road flattens out a bit, I was solo and the leaders left me in the dust. I crested the climb within a minute of the front and was eaten up by the second group. Over the next couple of minor climbs I just sat in and on the last major climb of the day (40 minutes @ 12% grade) I drilled it. I rode great and was putting out some good power for the tail end of a 4.5 hour race. I reeled in a lot of blown riders and dropped everyone in the second group. I finished up in 44th place and was fairly pleased with the day.

The last day was the crit. I underestimated it. I thought I would just ride it like I've ridden every other crit this summer. Not so. Not in an NRC race. The pace is so fast and the pack is so tight that positioning is everything... It was a long and brutal day and I found myself near the back of the pack more often than I would have liked. I ended in 101st. It wasn't a good race but I survived and learned more in that 90 minutes than I've learned in any race this year. I can't wait to get another crack at an NRC crit.

So I finished up dead center of the pack on GC, 80th place of 160 starters. I was looking for better and had I not flatted on the first stage, things would have been a bit different. Overall, it was an awesome experience. As August comes to an end, all I want to do is figure out how to ride my bike faster... but as a professional nordic skier, it is time to figure out where my upper body has gone. The snow will fall three months from now and I intend on being ready...

1 comment:

Stormspandies said...

Is three months enough to to build your upper body? What workouts are you going to do? Are you trying to make it to Whistler?