Friday, August 8, 2008

Adapting

Training has continued to be most excellent since my last post. I've been pushing the volume very heavily and things are really coming along well.

In the midst of my last 4 week training cycle I started to get a little sick of training on my own. I mean, a guy can only do so many 5 hour days solo... Living in Park City there are often people in and out between the US Ski Team, the Univ of Utah Ski Team and a few other independent racers like myself. July/August is a tough time to work through because a lot of people are at training camps, the university is away for the summer, there just aren't a lot of people to workout with... Unless you are a road biker...

So I've had to adapt a little. Lately I have been riding a lot so as to get some workouts with others. Its been a great mental break and also a good opportunity to really get pushed extrinsically. I've gotten myself hooked up with one of Utah's top pro team and have done some training rides with them and really enjoyed it.

Several weeks ago I hopped into a road hillclimb. I had yet to do any really tough workouts on a bike so I was unsure. Even more, I hadn't done a real race since late March. I felt awkward the morning of the race. I really didn't feel prepared mentally and I couldn't remember the steps I typically go through to get myself into that place. Though as the start time neared I settled down and managed to focus my energy on the effort. Once my class got called to the start line it all came back and I was really able to get into it.

The race itself was good. I rode away from the field less than a mile into the race and more or less time trialed my way up to the summit. I rode well, very steady. I didn't have much top end but I haven't trained the top end at all, so none was expected. On the final results I was 7th overall, which was satisfying given that all of Utah's top riders were in the race.

Afterwards I definitely had renewed motivation for competition. I have a month or so without before the Utah State Hillclimb Championship, which I am putting a lot of energy into preparing for. Its a time trial for everyone so I'll have a chance to compare solo efforts with the best guys.

My next training period is another big one with major focus on volume and my last little bit soiree-ing as a road biker before I crank up both the intensity and specificity. With any luck that will coincide with plenty of training partners around. I'm looking forward to dropping the hammer.

All for now and good luck to Mike in Beijing.

No comments: